Sautéed Shrimp with Cheese Grits
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1-1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup Dixie Lily Quick Grits
1/4 tsp. salt or garlic salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 lbs. medium shrimp, deveined
4-6 slices of bacon, diced
1/2 cup chopped green onion (4-5 onions)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
2 tsp. hot sauce, or to taste
1 tsp. granulated garlic
Sliced green onions and shredded cheddar for garnish
To prepare grits, bring chicken broth and milk to a boil in large saucepan. Stir in grits and salt; return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes until thickened; stirring occasionally. Stir in cheddar cheese. Keep warm.
To prepare shrimp:
- Cook bacon in skillet until crisp; drain all but 2-3 tablespoons of fat from skillet.
- Add peppers and onion; sauté vegetables with creole seasoning, salt, pepper, and one teaspoon granulated garlic.
- When vegetables are tender; add peeled and deveined shrimp and cook until they turn pink. (Approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Add cooked diced bacon to skillet with shrimp.
- Add 2 tablespoons of All Purpose Flour and ¾ cup of chicken broth to mixture to thicken rue. (Simmer for 10-15 minutes and serve over hot Dixie Lily Grits!
Serve shrimp mixture over warm cheese grits. Garnish with chopped green onions and cheddar cheese.
Makes 6 servings.