1 lb. (2 cups) Red Kidney Beans, soaked
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
1 lb. ham shank, cut into 3 or 4 pieces*
3 cups uncooked rice
1/2 cup green onions, chopped, for garnish
*You can also add sliced Sausage such as Conecuh
1. Drain beans; discard soak water.
2. Place oil in 4-quart pot and heat. Add two green onions, white or yellow onion, celery leaves, and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender but not browned.
3. Add beans, water, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Stir well.
4. Bury ham shank pieces in beans*. Bring beans to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. If adding sausage add during last 30 minutes of cooking.
5. Cook rice with water and salt according to package directions.
6. Remove ham shank pieces. Cut meat from bones and discard bones. Dice meat and add to beans.
7. Serve beans over hot rice. Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of green onions.