1 cup dry blackeyes*
4 thick slices bacon, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
Generous dash each hot red pepper and black pepper
3 cups cooked rice
Soak blackeyes by preferred method. Rinse and drain blackeyes thoroughly. Cook bacon in heavy saucepan until browned. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender. Add beans, 2 cups water and seasonings. Cover and simmer 40 to 50 minutes or until beans are tender. Remove bay leaf; stir in rice. Continue simmering about 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. As an alternative, beans may be served over rice. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
1 lb. (2 cups) Red Kidney Beans, soaked
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
1 lb. ham shank, cut into 3 or 4 pieces*
3 cups uncooked rice
1/2 cup green onions, chopped, for garnish
*You can also add sliced Sausage such as Conecuh
1. Drain beans; discard soak water.
2. Place oil in 4-quart pot and heat. Add two green onions, white or yellow onion, celery leaves, and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender but not browned.
3. Add beans, water, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Stir well.
4. Bury ham shank pieces in beans*. Bring beans to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. If adding sausage add during last 30 minutes of cooking.
5. Cook rice with water and salt according to package directions.
6. Remove ham shank pieces. Cut meat from bones and discard bones. Dice meat and add to beans.
7. Serve beans over hot rice. Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of green onions.
1- 9 oz. jar mango chutney
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. hot curry powder
2 each 6 to 10 oz. pkgs. Refrigerated grilled chicken strips or 3 cups sliced, grilled chicken breasts
1 cup diced bell pepper
3 cups cooked China Doll Rice
In large bowl, whisk chutney, lime juice, oil, salt and curry powder. Stir in chicken, bell pepper and cooked rice. Serve immediately or cover and chill.